Thursday, November 22, 2012

Grateful for My Heart

First off, Happy Thanksgiving.  I pray that you're surrounded today with all the blessings you're most thankful for.  Today and every day I'm surrounded with my Savior's great, great love.  My thanks hardly seems sufficient, but how grateful I am.

While teaching last spring, one day I found myself saying, "Listen to your heart."  It quickly became the mantra of my classroom.  (If you'd like to know more, go here.)  Over the summer I made this sign, and now it's hanging on a wall in my classroom.


This fall I discovered that my favorite November read-aloud is the perfect complement to this mantra.  


At first glance, it looks to be yet another Cinderella story about the youngest of three sisters who ends up marrying the Invisible Being, the prince charming of the story, but really it's a powerful and engaging tale of the heart.  Peel back the layers, and the hearts of the characters are naked for all to see, even for six-year old eyes.  The most poignant moment in the book for me is when the sister of the Invisible Being is described as one who can look into a person's eyes and see all the way down to their heart and can tell if it's a cruel, hard one or a warm, kind heart.  My kids could tell that even though the sister who marries the Invisible Being is clearly not outwardly the most beautiful of the sisters, her real beauty lies within her heart.  

The conversations that are products of this story are priceless.  Here's evidence of one.  After reading this book, one of my little gals wrote this in her G Journal.  (Click here to find out what G Journals are.)

"I am grateful for my heart because it makes me beautiful."

Mission accomplished.


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. I am going to check out that book. I haven't seen it before. Have a great Thanksgiving, Tammy!
    Connie Anderson:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. An appropriate post for this Thanksgiving Day! Your sign is beautiful! I am so thankful for your friendship this past year and all your wise thoughts!!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I'm thankful that I always know I'll have at least one comment to look forward to each time I post. Thank you for putting up my ranting. :)

      Delete
  3. I am very thankful for your insight and wonderful ideas. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Lyn
    Mrs. Goff's Pre-K Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, thank you. I'm grateful for your thoughtful comments and great posts.

      Delete
  4. I will definitely get this one! Thank you for being my bloggy friend! I love reading your posts! It is evident that you are beautiful inside and out! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi. I so enjoy your sweet thoughts and posts. Thank you for being my bloggy friend too.

      Delete
  5. Tammy I love this idea! I am sure when students get stuck on topic ideas they can turn to this journal. What a great idea! Melissa P.S. I am already thinking of how I can fit this into my day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. I love that you found something you can use.

      Delete
  6. I love this book! What a great lesson your students learned! Thanks for sharing.

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, isn't it a great book? It's just wonderful for teaching about character.

      Delete
  7. Tammy,
    I treasure your comments and feel blessed to have your words of wisdom to inspire me weekly!
    Happy thanksgiving!
    Julie
    First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, it's been a pleasure to "meet" you and follow along with your teaching journey. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

      Delete