Saturday, July 21, 2012

Saturday Sayings: Unexamined Wallpaper

(Click above for previous Saturday Sayings.)


Unexamined wallpaper...I'm guessing we all have some of that hanging around our classrooms, our schools, and our districts.  Whatever the wallpaper represents, we've always done it and never thought twice about whether it's best for kids or not.  


Take for example, spelling tests.  Years ago in my classroom, spelling tests fit into the category of unexamined wallpaper.  The teachers around me gave them.  The parents expected them.  The kids just played along.  I gave one spelling test to the whole class every week, because that's the way it was done.  Then I came across some professional reading that challenged the concept.  Are weekly spelling tests best for kids?  Should everyone in the class, from the most challenged speller to the child who can spell beyond their grade level, be accountable for the same words?  Will a spelling test teach them to spell correctly in their daily writing?  I experienced a paradigm shift, and as a result, my own classroom culture changed.  I took down the old wallpaper and replaced it with something that I felt met the needs of my kids better.


That's just one example, but over the years, a lot of wallpaper has come down from the pedagogical walls of my room.  In fact, there are still some unexamined bits and pieces hanging around.  In all reality, I doubt there will ever come a day when I should feel content that it's all been removed.


"We must always look critically at ourselves and our practices in order to improve and refine them."  Regie Routman, Literacy at the Crossroads 37

If I've opened a can of worms and you'd like to know more about what spelling looks like in my classroom, go here.


Chrissy from Read Write Sing is joining me today with her own Saturday Sayings.  Let's go see what she's got to share.  It's bound to be good!



Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. No can of worms here I came to the same conclusion a few years ago. Most teachers in my building still give the weekly tests, and honestly I try to the last part of the year to prepare them for their next year. But what starts out to be 9 weeks of tests ends up being 2.I pretty much feel the same way about bulletin boards and "themes." My walls are bare until the kiddos get there.
    Thanks for another great saying!
    Tammy

    First Grade @ Storybook Cafe
    dtklinger@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, we agree...again! :) Thanks for adding to the conversation!

      Delete
  2. Hi! I joined in and just posted my Saturday Saying!

    The district where we live--and my children attend--adopted a "no spelling tests" stance. It was an adjustment, but I can understand the rationale. Sight learners enjoy spelling tests; we do so well on them! Ultimately, I am a good speller because I am a reader. :-)

    Thanks for propping me up lately....I value your comments!
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrissy, thanks for joining me today. It's certainly an adjustment. I hope it's been worthwhile for your kids' district.

      Delete
  3. Totally can agree with the spelling test "theory"~
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robynn, thanks for coming by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  4. It's important to examine that "wallpaper" all the time, isn't it? I agree that there will always be bits and pieces hanging around. I'm always looking at ways to refine and improve the learning environment ... and it definitely sounds like you are, too. I'm currently looking at the word wall. I know! Sounds strange, 'cause I've had one for probably 15 years and everyone has one. I teach to it all the time and I know there are tons of great advantages to it, but I'm starting to wonder if it's way too much for some kids and if I should just go with more of a McCracken / phonetic kind of approach (which I do ... but I'm thinking I should emphasize this more). This is a rambling comment 'cause I've been thinking about this for awhile and I'm still not sure. I'm off to check and see what YOU do in your classroom regarding spelling.
    Thanks again for another fabulous Saturday Saying!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I always enjoy it when you come by! Maybe that has something to do with the fact that we think quite alike. :) I'm not familiar with the McCracken/phonetic approach. What is it? I think you should post about your word wall when you find a way to make it work better for you. I'd love to hear more.

      Delete
  5. Great post Tammy. There are many things that I would change if (some) schools didn't mandate it. Homework is another issue for me. Especially when teachers take recess away for children who didn't 'do' their homework. What do you think about homework in K-2?

    Thanks for stopping by my blog as well!

    Kelli
    Tales From a Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli, thanks for coming by again! I'm not a fan of homework for K-2. My kids read from their book bags each night, but that's all I ask of them and I don't call that homework. That's called being a reader. So, I'm with ya!

      Delete
    2. Me too-I ask parents to read with the kids and that's it!

      Delete
  6. I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Come over and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plant, Grow, Bloom - thanks for the award. That's very thoughtful of you.

      Delete
  7. Our school went through the same thing with the spelling. They are trying to make the words each are responsible for more differentiated to fit each student and no tests. It's a work in progress!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, my blog loves when you come by. I hope each year the spelling program at your school gets better and better. We're all a work in progress, aren't we?

      Delete