Saturday, October 14, 2017

Parents as Teachers


I have twenty-four students so far this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if I gain a few more by May. This teacher to student ratio is not ideal. There's literally not enough of me to go around, which is why I cherish my parent volunteers and choose not to send them off to the teacher workroom to make copies, use the paper cutter, or do myriad other menial tasks. My parent volunteers work one on one with children. 

I understand, as well as any other teacher, the amount of prep work that's required to do this job, and it adds to the daily stress and strain. But the children in my care are my first priority. Their needs are more important than my long list of projects that need attention. I can manage to get those things done, but I honestly can't always manage the many needs represented in my room. 

So unless my children are at recess or a special, you won't find my parents in the workroom. You'll find them doing the most important thing that a parent at school can do. They'll be teaching.

What are your parents doing?


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Tammy, as someone who volunteered in my daughter's classroom K-4th (before I started teaching), I’d say that when parent volunteers get to work with the kids, they are more likely to continue to come to the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, I think you're probably right. They feel like they're making a difference.

      Delete