Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Mystery Doug

Both my PE teacher and instructional coach brought Mysterydoug.com to my attention this year. My kids and I are loving it. Here's how it works.


  • Mystery Doug invites elementary students to submit their questions on his site.
  • Each week Mystery Doug answers one of those questions.
  • He emails his video on Monday. 
  • At the end of each video, he shares three new questions and asks his audience to vote on the one he should answer next.
  • His videos are short, kid-friendly, and engaging. 

We've watched two so far. A conversation with my instructional coach about science and writing inspired me to ask my students to hypothesize before watching the videos. Here are two examples from "How do they turn wood into paper?"




I can envision eventually asking my students to write about what they learned from the video afterwards. I think Mystery Doug has lots of potential though. It definitely encourages curiosity and lets kids know that it's smart to ask questions!

P.S. If you didn't know already, I published a book for teachers this summer. I'd love to share it with you. Check it out here.


SaveSave
SaveSave
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I've signed up for mystery Doug, but haven't actually used any -- so you're a step ahead of me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the way you combined this with writing! Just shared the link with my favorite primary teacher!

    TaraThe Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete