Saturday, March 28, 2015

Saturday Sayings: Boring Things



Medina's a brain guy, so he's not referring to human nature.  He's talking about how the brain is wired.  When using the pronoun "we" he's not singling out those students of ours who have a difficult time showing any kind of interest.  "We" is referring to all of humankind.  The human brain does not pay attention to boring things.  Take a moment to remember the most dull inservice of your career, and you'll realize that Medina is talking about you and your brain. 

He's also talking about our students.  They can't help themselves. If it's boring, their brains shut down, as do ours.  Considering the weight of this fact is worthy of our attention, and it presents a challenge to those of us who make a living from dealing with brains all day.  The blank stares, distracting behaviors, and general lack of interest need to be considered as possible byproducts of brains that don't pay attention to boring things.  Honestly reflecting on these problems can be the impetus to a higher level of engagement and learning for all our students.  I don't believe teachers are in the entertainment business though.  I'm not about entertaining my students, but I am about engaging them, and I think there are a myriad of ways of reaching their brains.

I'm reminded of a real live example from my pastor, who incorporates many engagement strategies, like humor and storytelling, into his sermons.  A few Sundays ago he began a series of lessons on connecting - connecting to God and to others, and he used Legos to make his point.  He eventually gave everyone in the congregation their own blue Lego and sent them all on a scavenger hunt throughout the sanctuary to find their own hidden red Lego.  I think it's safe to say that every brain in the building, from the youngest to oldest, paid attention to that sermon, understood its significance, applied it to their own life, and won't likely forget it either.

We don't pay attention to boring things.  It's a simple but challenging thought that won't leave me alone, and I know it's because I must continually challenge myself to find ways to ensure that the brains in my room can't help but pay attention, understand the significance of what we do, apply it to their own lives, and never forget it either.





Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your very well written post today. Anything brain intriques me, but I love the connection to your Sunday sermon (and of course, the Lego scavenger hunt)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting. I love what my pastor did with the Legos. It was a great way to engage us.

      Delete
  2. This is great, Mac. Your last paragraph wraps this up so well, and the truth is, this idea should not leave us alone. I must habitually ask myself how I am intentionally weaving engaging elements into my lessons.

    P.S. I keep thinking that it's time I make a visit to your classroom. I know how amazing you are, but I've only seen you teach adults (or near-adults). Maybe I can work something out in late May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laur, I've taught in front of many people without much thought. The idea of you in my room makes me slightly nervous. That's only because I know you're so good at what you do.

      Delete
  3. I like what you said about you are not about entertaining your students, but you are about engaging them. I do not wish to be an entertainer to them either. Isn't it funny how we all seem to engage with each other with connections made with stories from each other's lives?
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, the TV is for entertaining. We teachers sure have a higher calling. :)

      Delete
  4. This is such a good point, Tammy. I really like the distinction you draw between entertainment and engagement. I am a writer, not a teacher, but I do a lot of school visits and I think I could really learn something from trying to be more engaging and less worried about entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, I've a feeling that you are highly engaging. I'd love to have you for a visit!

      Delete
  5. AWESOME post today Tammy!! I loved the story you shared about your Pastor. This is a post every teacher should read. We all need to be reminded of the importance of planning engaging lessons.
    Connie Anderson
    Welcome To First Grade Room 5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, thank you! Engaging their hearts and minds is definitely worthy of our time and thought.

      Delete
  6. I am really struggling with this. I try to use music, manipulatives, movement, the outdoors, tools, etc. but I feel like I am FAILING! Especially with a 2-3 boys I have. Thanks for the post.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I know the feeling. I really do. There always seem to be the few who are harder to engage than others. It's a challenge for sure. Keep on keeping on!

      Delete
  7. I agree that we should be engaging and not entertaining. But I worry about that one student (and I have another one this year) who often says he's bored even though every other child in the class is fully engaged and clearly enjoying themselves. I think that individuals have to take responsibility to some extent to learn to engage their own brains. Does that make sense? I think some children have learned to be passive unless someone or some thing is right in their face. For example, with the commenter above me, I bet it's more about the boys' attitudes rather than Ann's teaching style or efforts at being engaging. I guess what I'm saying is that despite our best intentions there will always be a person or two who's just decided not to "participate" and we shouldn't stress about this. And clearly I'm stressing :)) or I wouldn't have written such a long comment. Haha! Have a good one, Tammy and thank you for another great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, you make me smile and you make a great point. I know the children you're talking about, and they do seem to have learned how to be passive and highly picky about what they will engage in. The trick, and I have yet to figure it out, is how to win them over. But yes, causing ourselves undue stress on top of everything else, probably isn't the best tactic. Thank you for being so willing to let me know what you think. Too bad you don't just live down the hall!

      Delete