Sunday, March 1, 2015

February Reads

February was not my best month of reading.  I kind of got stuck on a book I wasn't enjoying, which slowed me down considerably.  I know I could have put it down, but I was already over halfway through when I came to the conclusion that the plot was going nowhere.  I have a hard time quitting, so I trudged through to the end.  I did though quit on another read but I wasn't very far in before deciding it wasn't for me.  (By the way, that one's not included below since I never finished.)  Anyway, I'm looking forward to March's reading already. 

This one slowed me down.  I didn't prefer it.

I thoroughly enjoy Sarah Addison Allen's books.  This one was just as good as the rest.

I've been slowly reading this one for a while.  Now that I've finished, I need to keep it near so I can apply it to my daily practice more and more.  Great book!

Fantasy is not my typical preferred genre, but this story drew me in.  It's longer but worth reading.


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Tammy,
    What did you like about Teach Like a Pirate? Do you think it is worth buying? Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I loved so many things about it. It both validated and challenged me. I definitely think it's worth buying.

      Delete
  2. I love it when you recommend books, Tammy! Thank you.
    I realize I'm in the minority but I didn't like "Teach Like a Pirate". There were some good ideas and I appreciated his enthusiasm, but I felt it was unrealistic. Obviously we need to present engaging lessons but I don't think we need to entertain our students. But that's just me:) And maybe I'm feeling that way because for the most part I prefer things to be calm ... happy and engaging ... but very calm.
    Feel free to disagree with me 'cause I could well be missing the main point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, while reading the book, I had to remind myself that it's not about entertaining kids, so I definitely understand where you're coming from. I'm all about calm too. I felt like I was able to find so many nuggets in the book though.

      Delete
  3. I love Sarah Addison Allen and am so looking forward to reading First Frost! I have loved her others, though Garden Spells is my favorite so far :) And I'm like you - once I start a book I almost always finish it - I feel bad for the writer if I don't :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, I found Allen this Fall and quickly devoured everything she's written. I only wish she had written more!

      Delete
  4. I am not good at quitting books either. Once I get part way through one, I almost always make myself finish it. I have gotten better at it though. We are still reading Teach Like a Pirate for our school book club.
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, it's just hard to put down a book that I've invested time into. I'd love to hear what you think about Teach Like a Pirate.

      Delete
  5. Hey-we agree on one! :) I really liked The Golem and the Jinni. Not my preferred genre either, but I did find the supernatural aspects of it really interesting.

    Not Just Child's Play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, cool! It's good to know we can agree on at least one read. :)

      Delete