Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Guest Teacher Incentives

I avoid bribes and incentives as much as possible, but when it comes to a sub, I'm all about giving that person an extra dose of leverage so they can get the best out of my kids.  I know the quality of instruction is not nearly what it could be without me there, but if my kids can step up to the plate, they'll get more out of the day than otherwise.  The guest teacher can then do more teaching than managing.



The guest teacher passes out tickets galore to students who are doing what they're asked to do.  The child writes their name on the ticket and places it inside the can.  The same kiddo can even get several tickets throughout the day.  In fact, I hope they do.  At the end of the day, the guest teacher takes out a pre-determined number of tickets, and those kids win a prize of some sort but never nothing fancy.  It really does give the guest teacher the advantage.

(Disclaimer:  Many kids end up being recognized throughout the day, but I don't like that only a few ultimately walk away with something.  This is why I only do this when I'm gone, and when I'm gone, I'm desperate.  Good thing that's not very often.)


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. This is a great management idea for when you are gone! I know you don't like to be gone, but this helps the sub and the kids probably look forward to the tickets too. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, nope I don't like to be gone but knowing the kids are likely to be more on task because of some tickets does make me feel a little better about my absence.

      Delete
  2. Tammy,
    I think this is a great idea! Kids feed off of stuff like that. My sons gave me a great idea his teacher does...in the hallway there is a mystery person and if the mystery person does a good job (find out the end) they get a prize/sticker. The kids don't know who the person is so they all do a great. Let's say the mystery person didn't do a great job...no one gets a sticker and no one will know who the mystery person is .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I've heard of that idea before. On a tough day, sometimes a little trick like that does come in handy.

      Delete
  3. I love that you help your substitute out, but mostly I LOVE that you refer to her as a guest teacher. That little reframe can make a BIG difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, yes I agree that it's an important switch to make in how we talk about this person in front of students. :)

      Delete
  4. I have done something like this in the past except I just had my guest teacher hand out notes that said "Mrs. Goff would be so proud of you!" The kids were so excited to show me the notes they had collected when I returned. I liked my approach because it didn't involve a prize box although your idea may be better because I hate for good behavior (or school success) to be a competition and my approach did lead to that ("I got the most notes"). When I got back I tried to focus on them being proud of themselves for doing well with a teacher who didn't know our routines and told them all to make sure they showed their notes to their parents and shared their success with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, I like your note idea a lot. I'm all about promoting character even when I'm not there and to do it with little or no bribery is a wonderful accomplishment.

      Delete