Monday, September 22, 2014

Doable and Durable

Anyone who has read my blog for any amount of time has noticed that we make a plethora of classroom books in my class.  We create so many that I try to vary how I make them.  I'm not sure that variety is the spice of my own life, but it comes in handy in first grade sometimes.  I thought I'd share one of my methods and the tips that make it both doable and durable.  

When making books with photos, sometimes I print two to a page and then fold in half.  It saves on cutting and gluing.  


Since these books are very popular with the kids, they need to be durable, but I don't have time to laminate them.  Plus, I think it's kind of a waste of money.  Laminating film is not cheap.  Clear packing tape makes books like this last so much longer.  Once the page is folded over, I place half of a strip of clear packing tape on the open side of one page and then fold the tape over to attach it to the other side.  It attaches the two open sides together and creates a durable edge that is then ready to be bound with all the others.  Again, no glue needed.


If you're interested in seeing more about classroom books, look on the right side of my blog under "labels" and look for "classroom books." 

May your classroom books be ever doable and durable!



Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE all your classroom books! I need to make more...but I have found myself out of practice since leaving first grade.
    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I'd be interested to see what kinds of classroom books you'd make in older grades. I've always thought it could be done.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Barb, yep we have a binding machine at school.

      Delete
  3. Your classroom books are great! And I know they have to be durable because your students love reading them over and over. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, thank you and yep, they are definitely read over and over.

      Delete
  4. We just did the Cookie Jar chant in music. The kids love it! Fun idea to make it into a book. :-)

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, the kids do love that one, especially when there's a real cookie involved. :)

      Delete