Monday, May 12, 2014

Behind Your Back (freebie)

Here's a little geometry activity that I've seen a few times in some of my district math professional development.  It's a great one for challenging kids to think about shapes, their attributes, and the space they occupy.  

While one partner's back is to the smartboard or whatever tool a teacher has at their fingertips, the other partner faces the smartboard and describes the composite shape that they see while the other partner creates it without looking.  What fun and what a challenge!  They really have to know their stuff to pull this off.






Directions were given.  Questions were asked.  Clarifying took place.  I heard some great conversations!  Afterwards, one of my little guys patted me on the back and said, "That was pretty awesome!" 

I'd like to share the Smart Notebook file of composite shapes with you.  I'm crossing my fingers this will work.  If it doesn't, it won't be too hard to create your own.  Head here if you're interested.  (Please let me know if this doesn't work.)


Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Jenalyn, I'm so sorry. You need to have Smart Notebook in order to open it.

      Delete
  2. Such a fun learning activity! Your kids will be asking to play this again!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, we're running out of time. Otherwise I'm sure they'd love to play it again.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Deb, I'm very sorry. You'll have to open it in Smart Notebook.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing, Tammy!

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, Tammy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete