Saturday, March 1, 2014

Saturday Sayings: Reading Streak



My cousin Laurie just turned 50 yesterday.  Back on June 1st of 2013 she decided to run into her 50th year by doing a running streak.  For you non-runners out there, that meant she was going to run every single day, at least one mile, fully clothed.  She did just that.  She ran 273 consecutive days for a total of 520 miles.  Some might have said that kind of running would wear her out or cause damage.  Neither happened.  In fact, she became a faster runner.  There's just something about the daily practice of a skill.  (Way to go cousin Laur!)

Seven of my little readers leave my room every morning for an hour of small group reading intervention.  Here's the question I always struggle with.  "What am I willing for them to miss?"  An hour is a long time and a lot can happen in my room in an hour.  They certainly can't miss writing workshop.  Shared reading is important too.  I need to meet with them about reading as well, so they've got to be around for that.  There's really no good answer.  In the end, I chose a time when they will miss very little direct instruction.  They're gone for 30 minutes of Read to Self (independent reading) and 30 minutes of Daily 5.  The negative is that they miss what Richard Allington is talking about above.  They miss a concentrated amount of time to practice what I've been teaching them.  Yes, I do realize that they're reading while they're out of my room and I appreciate the help they get, but I believe what they do when they're gone is different than what Allington is referring to.  All readers, but especially my seven, need time to sit down with a basket of books at their reading level and simply practice being readers, incorporating all they've been taught.

What does "daily in-school reading" look like?  Here are some things I don't think it is: workbook practice, reading games, activities, etc.  This morning I wondered what kind of numbers I'd see if I did the math and calculated the percentage of my day that kids actually spend reading real texts vs. learning about reading or doing things about reading.  All of our kids simply need more time to practice being readers with real live books in their hands.  Let's multiply those minutes and keep the reading streak alive.


Pin It!

23 comments:

  1. I love your Saturday Sayings! I have several kiddos who receive reading intervention and it's always a struggle with what they miss in my room. I'm not given a lot of choice as to when they are out so it's difficult.

    I love the idea of a reading streak! Congrats to your cousin for meeting such a great goal!

    Rachel
    A-B-Seymour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, thank you for reading my Saturday thoughts. I appreciate you letting me know!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy,
    I love your blog. I just recently found you and I look forward to your Saturday Sayings. When you mentioned the Running Streak I was worried you were going to say something about someone running naked like a streaker! LOL I love the idea of a reading streak. It so makes sense. I also struggle with letting my kids go for their extra shot of reading and what they are missing in the classroom. Somedays when I deviate from the schedule I ache for them missing out on our activities. Most of the time I fit reading with the other kids in then but it's hard some days. I want the best for my students and I know these kids are getting it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I don't feel alone in my thinking anymore. Thank you!
    Claire
    firstgradesmarties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, I'm honored that you enjoy reading my Saturday thoughts. I see that you and I have similar thoughts about letting our kids leave the room. :)

      Delete
  4. I have 15 to 30 minutes of reading quietly and with a buddy every day and I've been doing that for years. I tried centre type ideas in the early days during guided reading and just hated it. When I switched it over to just reading it was so much better. It takes a while some year for some kids to get into it, but eventually they do, and hopefully I'm helping to instill a life-long habit.
    It's hard finding the right time to let those little guys go. In our school their time is rotated so they never miss the same thing each day. But then the schedule's really hard to keep track of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I used centers years ago too. There's nothing better than simply reading and writing though.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this, my dear. I feel so honored to be a part of your Saturday Sayings (and to be a part of your life!). I have seen so many connections between my run streak and my teaching. I love hearing how this is being synthesized in your head, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laur, congrats on reaching your goal. Here's to many more days of being thankful for legs that can run.

      Delete
  6. First of all, a huge congrats to your cousin for accomplishing her goal! That is powerful! Our little struggling readers mostly leave the room during read to self also. It is so hard that the ones who need to be in the classroom the most are the ones who are pulled out the most. As the teacher who is pulling them out, I am aware of that and hate it. They need so much. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, they are fortunate to work with you every day. I'm convinced of this.

      Delete
  7. Laurie should be very proud of herself:) Practice makes PERMANENT!
    Love your post today because it's something we as teachers need to think deeply about. How much time are kids actually reading daily in our classrooms? I am very aware of this in my classroom and try to carve out as much time as I possibly can. It's so important for my students because many of them don't read outside of school.
    P.S. I finally got your CD from Amazon:) What a beautiful voice you have!
    Connie Anderson
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, you're so right. They don't necessarily read at home, so the number of minutes at school needs to compensate for that. I'm so glad you like the CD. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. It makes me sad how little kids read actual books in classrooms anymore-especially as we get up to the upper elementary classes and everything is passages. I hate how little meat is in the decodable readers our reading adoption uses and think every child can benefit from being given time to just read an actual book every day! :)
    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, time to read it surely a gift.

      Delete
  9. So true that young readers need time to practice. And there are so many great books out there just waiting to be read and enjoyed. It's sad that even in the very early years of school there is so much expected, so much scheduled, that kids don't have a little bit of time to just enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, you said it perfectly. We need to let them enjoy the act of reading.

      Delete
  10. Hi Tammy. I just love your Saturday Sayings. I'm right there with you on when kiddos are pulled for interventions. It is so hard to find a "good" time. We did an intense review of our Daily 5 charts this last week because I saw us slipping some. I think it is so important for the kids to have time to get engaged in a good book and enjoy it!

    By the way, have you shared your daily schedule this year? I'd really like a peek at it!

    Thanks,
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, thank you! That time to just practice reading and writing is so very precious. I have kids who slip as well. Nope, I've never shared my schedule. Maybe I will. :)

      Delete
  11. I hate pull outs. I don't even like them to go to specials sometimes. I like to be with them and help them make the most of their time with me. I like to make sure they are reading and that it feels like a challenge but also that they feel the luxury of time to succeed at the challenge. it's so hard to make that happen. Thank you for the reminder of just how much we need to protect that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberley, I like to keep my hands on my kids too. I get it. :)

      Delete
  12. Tammy,
    I have nominated you for the Sunshine Award. You inspire me with your every blog. Thank you for all you do. Enjoy your day!
    Claire Dietsche
    www.firstgradesmarties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, thank you. That's so very sweet of you!

      Delete