Monday, March 24, 2014

Agree or Disagree? (freebie)

My mathematicians recently measured and worked with place value at the same time.  I have Math Their Way to thank for this activity, so I receive no credit except that I fancied up the sheet you'll see soon.

I designated several things in the room that I wanted measured with unifix cubes.  All the objects were varying lengths but longer than ten cubes.  Partners visited a spot, measured the object with cubes, broke their long train into tens and ones, and placed them on a place value board.  









At each station they recorded their results on an Agree or Disagree sheet.  The first pair to visit simply wrote their answer in the box at the top.  Everyone else who came after them, did their own measuring and then wrote their names in the correct column based on whether they agreed or disagreed.  If they disagreed, they had to write the answer they got by their name.

I've used the recording sheet for all kinds of math concepts. It's rather versatile.  Feel free to use it as well.  Just click on the graphic below.





Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Love this activity! It is great when students have to compare answers and defend their thinking.

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute idea. Like the idea of breaking it into tens and ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee, It's such a natural way to turn measurement into place value.

      Delete
  3. Tammy! Love this idea. We have been working on agree and disagree with our math concepts. I love to hear how they support their answers! Thanks so much for sharing. Can't wait to use tomorrow. I like how you incorporated the measuring and place value together!!

    Christa
    sweetlifeofsecondgrade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christa, I'm glad you'll be able to use this in your classroom.

      Delete
  4. I really love how measurement and place value were combined in this activity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you have your students practice tens and ones while measuring! I would not have thought to do this. Great recording sheet!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I wouldn't have thought of it either. :) So glad Math Their Way thought of it.

      Delete
  6. I love "two for one" activities!
    I'm pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, me too. They're the best. Thanks for the pin.

      Delete