Saturday, February 1, 2014

Saturday Sayings: Life Without Books



This one bothers me.  I'd like to think that all my students leave my room not only as readers but unable to live without books for the rest of their lives.  As their first grade teacher, I spend nine months on a love-for-reading campaign, but until I create more students who do read than students who can, I've got to step it up.

This week I was working with a student during Read to Self.  All my other readers were scattered around the room with their noses in books and their book baskets at hand.  About five feet away, I overheard one of my boys say to himself, "Yes!  I get to hang out with bees!" as he grabbed a nonfiction bee book out of his basket.  What a perfect moment to eavesdrop.  It gave me hope that I'm doing something right.  I've been stepping it up.  

My kids must know how absolutely lucky they are to be readers, so I'm repeatedly telling them.  I've been finding myself saying words like, "Look at the things you get to do because you're a reader.  You are so lucky.  People who don't read, don't get to do such things."  After Read to Self time, I've been asking them to share what they got to do during their reading time that day.  Here are a few responses: 


I got to play baseball with Pete the Cat.
I got to meet Hello Kitty and her friends.
I got to hang out with Fly Guy.
I got to swim with the dolphins.
I got to play with Dan the Flying Man.
I got to have a party with monsters.

Hopefully these responses are the beginning of a love for reading that launches them into lives that cannot be lived without books.  

P.S.  I've still got so much to learn about making sure that Richard Allington's quote isn't true for my classroom.


Pin It!

22 comments:

  1. I LOVE the bees story! What a great way to frame the reasons for reading-I think I need to do that more often. I'd love to track them down in high school or beyond and see if they are still passionate readers. I know sometimes even in 4th-5th grade I can see them start to lose that passion.

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, I'm sure too many of mine lose the passion which is why I want to make reading something they can't live without.

      Delete
  2. I love that Allington quote, Tammy! (In fact, I highlighted that book to death with quotes I loved!) I've always felt that teaching reading needs to include a very heavy portion of advertising and promotion, so I totally empathize with your nine month long love-for-reading campaign. Your students' responses that you listed above show that you're having great success, and that your readers are not just reading books but truly immersing themselves in the joy of reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, Allington says a lot of things worth highlighting. :) Advertising and promotion is definitely something we do a lot of in the younger grades, huh? It's so important.

      Delete
  3. I remember a few years ago, when my grade-level assigned a nightly book report, I was working with a student after school who was really enjoying a Froggy book. It was a true breakthrough for him. I glanced at the clock and heard myself say, "Hurry up and stop reading so you can finish the book report." I literally gasped at myself and vowed to never put reading tasks ahead of actual reading. It has made a huge, huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, that's a great example. Stuff assigned to reading can muddy up the waters.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Tammy! Wouldn't it be great if EVERY teacher at EVERY grade level would have a "Love For Reading" campaign going on in their classrooms all year long? We could literally change the world of reading!
    Connie Anderson:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, that would definitely make a difference in our world for readers. Now, hmm, how to make that happen. :)

      Delete
  5. Love the idea of a "love for reading" campaign! I have won some over this year, but I have a few still claiming they don't like to read...mostly my strugglers. However, one of them was so excited to show me his fluency graph this week. He had read 51 words in a minute--started the year at 6 (and yes this is 2nd grade)! Even though he isn't yet where he should be, so happy to see him excited at his progress!

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, the struggling ones can be tough to win over, huh? Sometimes it takes finding the right books that draw them in. I love that your little one is finding some excitement in his progress!

      Delete
  6. And I get to hang out with Tammy :)
    I'm working on my own love to read campaign, just didn't know to call it that!
    Thanks again for showing a little glimpse into your classroom.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to bed to hang out with Mitch Albom's Phone Calls from Heaven book but not without thanking you for your insights. I just LOVE Saturdays with you!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I've been enjoying telling my kids who I get to hang out with every night before going to bed. :)

      Delete
  8. Allington's quote bothers me too. I do not want to just teach my students to read, but to love, love reading and having conversations about books. I love how you are accomplishing that in your room! I really like your I got to...I will need to borrow that from you!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, if you borrow it, let me know how you make it even better!

      Delete
  9. What an interesting (and scary!) quote. I would hate to think that we create people who can read but don't want to. I love reading and can't imagine my lift without books.

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, I can't imagine it either and that's what I'm trying to convey to my kids, but I know I can work on being even more purposeful about it.

      Delete
  10. It's so easy to get caught up in the "have to's" we (teachers) can forget to reveal the secret to the "want to's!" Great reminder as always Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, I've told them that they're learning about the secret to why reading is so wonderful. Even though some of them figure it out seemingly on accident, someone has to actually tell the others, huh?

      Delete
  11. I love the end-of-reading responses. Those are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I loved them too. I think they're getting it.

      Delete