Saturday, February 15, 2014

Saturday Sayings: Disguised as Weaknesses



My memory isn't great, but from what I hear, my mother did not enjoy taking me clothes shopping.  From a fairly early age, I stubbornly wanted nothing to do with what might have been fashionable. I preferred polos and pants.  (I'm not sure how they got me into ruffly tops that exposed my whole mid-section in the early to mid-70s.)  Some of that same stubbornness has followed me into my adult years.  How long have skinny jeans been back in style?  I just bought my first pair in November.  (But I refuse to wear them without boots.)  That stubborn streak, which seeps into other areas of my life, can be a weakness of mine, but could it also be a strength?

The quote I shared above could send me in one of several different directions, but my current situation is pushing me to one particular place of thought.  One of my newest additions brought with him many challenges.  One morning before school, a voice in my head and heart said, "You've got to find his strengths."  The mere fact that the thought made itself known proves the strengths weren't easy to spot.  

A few weeks ago I read a newsletter by Choice Literacy.  It shed some light on my search.  What seem like this child's flaws are also most likely his strengths.  So I have seen his strengths.  I just thought they were only his weaknesses.  I must change the lens with which I view him.  In fact, the same can be said for others in my classroom.  The bossy one has potential leadership skills.  The slow one is detail-oriented.  The one who's always trying to do things for those who need to be more independent has a motherly heart.  Their weaknesses are their strengths, as are mine.  I don't mind being my own person and coming into the fashions at my own slow pace.  I'm typically very comfortable looking and thinking like myself, even if I'm the only one.  The challenge is to focus on the strengths and be willing to acknowledge that they're sometimes found disguised as weaknesses.

The wonderful Choice Literacy newsletter I referred to can be found here. 



Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. Your reflection on the strengths and weaknesses of your students is inspiring! Thank you for that!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, it's definitely something I'm still chewing on.

      Delete
  2. Goodness ... I've never thought of weaknesses as strengths ... nice reframe! I admire how your heart and mind work for good!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, it's something that I want and need my brain and heart to get better at.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Tara, I thought so too when I read the newsletter.

      Delete
  4. I also love the different perspective. I will see my kiddos in a different way now remembering that.

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, I'm working on seeing them differently. I think it takes practice.

      Delete
  5. Ahem - I still don't have any skinny jeans - I read a post somewhere about boot cuts being the new "mom jean" - ack!
    And yes, there's a couple kiddos - or behaviors - I need to relabel, too. Thanks for the gentle reminder.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, I've discovered skinny jeans aren't all that evil, but like I said, I'm picky about how I wear them. :) Good luck with the relabeling.

      Delete
  6. That's a good way to look at things.
    BTW, I don't like wearing my skinny jeans without boots either. They just look weird:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I thought so too when I read the newsletter. It's a good shift to make. Yes, weird!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for your insightful post. I bought and am reading Regie Routman's Writing Essentials because I really enjoy all the quotes you publish from her. I look forward to reading your Saturday Sayings.
    Chrissy
    First Grade Found Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrissy, thank you for reading, and I'm sure you'll love Writing Essentials. Regie is wonderful.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for this perspective! I needed to hear this! I just couldn't stand wearing boots another day, so I tried my skinnies with bright red PF Flyers...Very springy and if I must say so ,cute!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, you're much more bold than I. Must wear boots. :)

      Delete
  9. Love this, Tammy! And oh so, true! This is a great reminder and challenge to focus on the strengths when they seem hidden by what we perceive as weaknesses.

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, it is a challenge, huh? I don't think it comes naturally.

      Delete