Monday, March 4, 2019

1-2 Nim (Videos included)

I don't fully understand the name of this game called 1-2 Nim, but I understand how much my mathematicians enjoy it. I also understand how much it helps develop not only their mathematical minds, but their love for math. 

(I learned it from Dan Finkle who provided a math games webinar on Christina Tondevold's Build Math Minds site. Please consider following her work if you're an elementary math teacher.) 


  • Grab a partner and a collection of counters. (I use cubes, but it really doesn't matter.)
  • A player has to take 1 counter on his turn but can take 2 if he chooses.
  • The player who takes the last counter wins.

Ways to change it up:

  • Use more counters.
  • Play 1-2-3 Nim. (The player can take 1, 2, or 3 counters on his turn.)
  • Poison: The player who takes the last counter loses.
  • Use a ten frame. The player who puts the final counter in the ten frame wins.


My kids have the stamina to play this game and its variations for a good while. Though simple to play, it's so engaging. It's easy and fun enough for kids to teach family members at home too. 

Here are two videos of 1-2-3 Nim in action. Enjoy. :)




Give Nim a shot, and don't be surprised if a little person beats you a time or two! (Not that I would know anything about that.)



Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this game, Tammy! I teach Grade 1 on Wednesdays now and math is one of my subjects.
    I'm going to check out the Build Math Minds site, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, you're so very welcome. I hope it goes well!

      Delete
  2. Good web site you have here.. It’s hard to find high quality writing like yours these days. I seriously appreciate people like you! Take care!!
    tỷ giá tiền điện tử hôm nay

    ReplyDelete

  3. This is a topic that is close to my heart Take care! Where are your contact details though?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some truly superb blog posts on this website , thanks for contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your style is very unique in comparison to other folks I ave read stuff from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thanks for posting when you have the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete


  7. your posts are neatly organized with the information I want, so there are plenty of resources to reference

    ReplyDelete


  8. Nice to meet you! I happened to know your blog while looking for the materials I needed.

    ReplyDelete