Saturday, October 8, 2016

Saturday Sayings: Cool to Ask Questions




This year I'm part of a cohort of Idaho teachers called The Coaching Network. We met for the first time in early August for three days of professional development. As I sat and soaked up all I could from our four coaches, I also took mental notes about the quality teaching strategies they were using. I'm learning from all four coaches, but I found myself latching on to a consistent strategy used by one of them in particular. She repeatedly said these words:

What questions do you have about...?

Pretty much, without fail, she would ask that question after she finished teaching or giving directions. The frequent use of this phrase let me know it was cool to ask my own questions, to ask for clarification, or to admit a misunderstanding. 

I also made note of her wording. Whereas in my classroom the phrase would sound more like, "Do you have any questions?" there is an element of intentionality in her wording that though subtle, seems important and powerful. The assumption is that asking questions is not only welcome but expected. 

After hearing her ask this question repeatedly throughout our three days together, I made myself a goal to do the same for my own students. I can say I've done a fairly decent job and plan on making it a habit, as it is with my coach. When given the chance, even first graders have insightful questions to ask, and learning that it's cool to ask questions is the message I want them to hear loud and clear. 

P.S. I now have a Facebook page. Click on the graphic to come say hi. :)





Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. You and I are definitely on the same wavelength these days! :) I was just writing a post about how I do this in my class. I have really been trying to use inquiry strategies more this year and I'm noticing it really pays off. We were on a field trip this week and on the bus ride all I heard was "I wonder how tall that building is?", "I wonder where all those people are going?" Questions, questions-I truly think it's because I have been making a concerted effort to encourage that this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, I can imagine you being so great at fostering curiosity with your kids!

      Delete
  2. I like it! Do you find your kids responding differently to the new phrasing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, whether they're responding differently to my new phrasing or just responding better due to the fact that I'm asking more often, I'm not sure. I like what I'm hearing though.

      Delete
  3. Great idea. Nice to see you on fb. I'm not on fb a whole lot. More Twitter these days. But I'm still one of your biggest fans. Always look forward to your posts. Btw, I just finished Innovator's Mindset and Pernille Ripp's book. Both were awesome. Pernille also emailed me after I asked her a question on Twitter. Super nice. Thank you for leading me to them.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I'm not familiar with Pernille Ripp. I'll have to look her up. I'm so glad though that you enjoyed The Innovator's Mindset! Thanks for being part of my tribe.

      Delete
  4. What a simple tweak! Going to try it. And congrats on the FB page.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, sometimes simple equals powerful. I love it when that happens. :)

      Delete
  5. I like this! I have on my wall at school- What do you notice and What do you wonder? I try to be intentional about using them. I know I use the phrase what do you notice more because that is what I hear back from my students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, those are two perfect questions. I'm the same. I use the noticing question way more than the wondering one. I need to find more ways to use both.

      Delete