Saturday, August 27, 2016

Books are Irresistible

This summer I had the privilege of hearing Dave Burgess speak about teaching like a pirate. I'd already read his book and was a fan, but hearing him in person brought his message to life. If you've ever sat in one of his audiences, you know what I mean. It's quite memorable. 

So this year I'm aiming to teach more and more like a pirate as I think of my students and how to bridge the gap between their motivations, interests and the curriculum. At the same time, I want to ramp up my sales pitch for reading. I always say the prevention of the summer slide starts on day one. 

On the first day of school, my students found a large box in my room with an important sign attached.



I actually didn't hear too much about the box throughout the week, but on Friday morning Kellen's first words to me were about that box. I also heard from some parents that it was a topic of conversation and anticipation at home. Score!


I made a big deal of the reveal. It was practically a Christmas morning moment. After the opening, I read a few titles to wet their appetite, like Dinosaur vs. The Potty or Vegetables in Underwear. (I was very intentional about the types of books I chose for the box.) The kids responded just like I'd hoped with squeals and laughter. I've a feeling there were some who might have been slightly disappointed that there wasn't indeed a kitty inside, but I'm hoping that my sales pitch is having an affect, even if I can't tell yet.

Then I tried some book speed dating with them. Although it wasn't a fail, it didn't go as beautifully as I had envisioned in my head. I cut it short but gathered some good information nonetheless. I definitely got a good feel for who my readers are. I also noticed those whose interest and stamina are weak. 

Next week, I'll begin reading those books for read-aloud. I imagine some of them will become future favorites, and even my reluctant little ones will begin to experience the fact that books are irresistible.


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. What a great start to the week! Getting them excited and invested in this mystery box of books! I would love to be a fly in your room. But I'm happy that I get to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em, seems like something I should have being doing 22 years ago, but it goes to show, we never stop growing and learning. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this idea! Who doesn't love the anticipation of a surprise. I'm so jealous you got to see Dave speak-he was here last year but I couldn't see him. I know that had to be just magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, it was magical indeed. He knows how to engage an audience!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Tammy! Thanks so much for your kind words and I LOVE how you're already implementing awesome hooks!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, thank you for inspiring me. My kids thank you too!

      Delete
  4. Great way to build that excitement towards the books! Love that the kids were discussing this at home too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I'm sure hoping this foundation raises the level of love and excitement for books.

      Delete