Saturday, November 15, 2014

Saturday Sayings: Do Not Squander



Speaking of thanking God, I've done a lot of that this year.  I have a dreamy class, and they couldn't have come at a better time.  I've met many a challenge on a yearly basis throughout my career, but last year left me wounded.  It didn't make me call into question whether I was in the right profession, but it did mess with my confidence and enthusiasm.  

Now I have a class that's like no other, but in the best of ways.  It took me until sometime in October to realize that not once had I opened the door at the end of a recess to find complaints and tattles awaiting me.  The first one showed up on Halloween.  I believe that's a career record.

Of course, we have our little bumps in the road.  Like Burgess says, the perfect year doesn't exist.  They make mistakes.  I make them too.  The nice thing is that for the most part, they're responsive to those moments that don't go well.   They're teachable, and we move on.
  
Here's my worry.  I don't want to squander this gift.  This is especially the year to challenge my own version of status quo.    With all my little ducks in a row, I have the perfect opportunity to stretch myself.  I'm pleased to say I've made a few experimental changes that will probably take most of the year to perfect, yet my gut continually sends out warning signals:  Yes, enjoy the moment, but do not let yourself get stuck in contentment.  Don't squander this gift.



Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Enjoy this year like no other! And like you said, this is a great time to stretch and mix things up a bit. I am happy for you that this class came at the time they did for you. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I really do enjoy them. Even though I was happy to get my snow day, I wasn't desperate for one like last year. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy to hear that your school year is off to a great start! When we've had a rough year, it really makes us appreciate the good ones even more:)
    Connie Anderson
    Welcome To First Grade Room 5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I so appreciate this good year. It's been great for perspective.

      Delete
  3. I'm also glad that you are having a good year after the challenges I know you have faced. The most challenging class I've ever had was followed by the best one ever! Sometimes I think it happens that way for a reason! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, I really am thankful they showed up when they did. Great timing.

      Delete
  4. Yes! I'm with you this year. My class is wonderful--truly the 'easiest' I've had in five years. I am trying not to look ahead because I will not be saying this next year (benefit or curse of a small school-- one class per grade level so I know exactly what is coming)! I like how you've made it a challenge to try new things. I've done the same. :-)

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I'm trying not to look ahead either. I'm afraid I'll be disappointed. :) It's okay though. I can't be spoiled all the time.

      Delete