Monday, October 20, 2014

Beautiful Things

Before the school year began, I had a plan to look for the beautiful in each day.  My cousin Laurie challenged our Sunday school class to be watchful for the beautiful, and immediately I knew I wanted this for my classroom too.  I didn't have all the logistics figured out, but my basic plan was to share three beautiful things with parents on my class website each day.  So on day one of school, I did just that.  I took pictures of three beautiful things from the day, wrote about them, and posted it on my class site.  I have yet to miss a day.  

The majority of the beautiful things I find are somehow linked to their character and the wonderful ways it's displayed toward others.  Sometimes I also find beautiful things related to someone who is applying a skill or strategy that was recently talked about.  It's been so good for me to go through the day with a mindset of looking for beautiful moments like these.  It's been good for the kids too.  I'm able to highlight the positive things they do, which I believe creates a contagious kind of atmosphere.  

It hasn't felt like a chore to update my website on a daily basis.  Instead it's been rewarding to share the beautiful and kind things my students are doing every day.  My website views are much higher this year than last too.  I think I've created a hook for both kids and parents that keeps them looking and wanting more.  

Because I want to make sure everyone in my class is being fairly represented, I keep track on a spreadsheet of who is included every day in my beautiful things.  This also helps heighten my awareness of the quiet, shy ones who can sometimes be overlooked.  

Even before school started I knew I wanted to include the kids in the process of identifying the beautiful.  I just didn't know how.  I didn't want to totally turn it over to them, because I still want to make sure everyone is equally mentioned.  Just this weekend I came up with a solution that I think will work.  Each day, someone new will be in charge of writing down their own three beautiful things from the day.  I'll include their list with my own.  (If you visit my class site, you'll see our first student's list from today, but below is a sneak peek.  He did such a great job.)


I invite you to check out the beautiful things on my website.  Maybe it will inspire you to find your own. 


(Click on the words above to visit the site.)


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea!!!! What a wonderful example to set for the kids and a great way to get parents excited about the good things as well. I have been wanting to start a class blog this year but was waiting for the kids to get better at writing (and technology) so it could be something they spearhead-I might steal this idea to give them a focus. You are always so inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, if you borrow it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I sure have!

      Delete
  2. I love this idea, too, Tammy! It's seriously brilliant. Your students are SO lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, thank you for thinking so. And I'm lucky to have them too. :)

      Delete
  3. This is so beautiful, Tam. I love that it hasn't been a chore for you. Beautiful, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laur, I'm thankful it hasn't been a chore either. It's been quite the opposite. Thank you for inspiring me.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful way of cultivating a spirit of gratitude in your students for the things that matter! Of course, I am not surprised that you are doing this. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I'm very happy that it's turned into just what you said. It's gone better than I could have imagined.

      Delete
  5. Great idea! I love the one that said, so and so is never late for recess. That's a good one!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, they've got a sharp eye out for beautiful things, and being on time is sure one of them. At least we teachers think so, huh? :)

      Delete
  6. I loved peeking into your classroom. What great pictures! I have a teaching friend who has been looking for ways to engage the families of her students online and this might be just what she is looking for!

    Love the positive attitude!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, thanks for peeking. I hope this help your friend. It sure has worked for me.

      Delete
  7. I L*O*V*E this idea!! It's easy to get caught up in focusing on all the negative things that happen at school. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea, Tammy!
    Connie Anderson
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, thank you. It's been rewarding to look for the positives each day.

      Delete