Saturday, August 16, 2014

Saturday Sayings: Professional Passion



Last year took the wind out of my sails a bit.  It wasn't enough to make me reconsider my choice of profession.  Teaching is what I do.  It's what I need to do.  But I needed summer too.  I needed time to simply catch my breath and think about something other than being a teacher.  So I let my cravings for fiction take over my life.  I read a few excellent professional books along the way as well, but there was one teacher book I had to read before my summer was over.  So last week I started Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess.  I knew just enough about it to know it was the kind of read that would remind me of why teaching is what I do, as well as challenge me to push to the next level because there's always one waiting.

Burgess asked me to think about my professional passions.  After twenty years in the classroom, the list could get long.  I purposefully kept it concise.  

I'm passionate about literacy.
I'm passionate about real world instruction instead of school world instruction.
I'm passionate about their hearts.
I'm passionate about their lifetime love of being a reader, writer, mathematician, scientist, etc.

It's one thing to create a list of passions.  It's another to find evidence of their existence in my room.  Do my professional passions affect my classroom?  If this is an honest list, and I believe it is, it should carry considerable weight in every decision I make regarding my students.  Our passions inspire.  They challenge the status quo.  And though it borders on sounding corny, they create a "burning hot passion for the awesome job and responsibility that lies before us."  This is unquestionably true for me today, and no, it's not corny at all.


What are you passionate about?


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book yet. Our new superintendent has bought a set of this book and wants to have a book study over it. Sounds like a good choice. Love your list!!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I've just barely started, but I'm guessing that I'll love it and so will you.

      Delete
  2. I just LOVE that quote! I might have to print it out and put it where I can read it regularly when that passion starts to fade a bit. You know when you read someone's blog regularly, you feel like you know them-I could have written your list of passions for you. They all come through in the posts you share, I'm sure they are evident to your students as well! :)

    Not Just Child's Play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Trayers, it's good to know that my passions are reflected in my posts. Cool, actually. I could definitely come up with some of yours too. Cool again!

      Delete
  3. I don't think I'll have a chance to read this book before summer's end, but I'm thinking around February it may be a fantastic pick me up! I am passionate about reading writing and letting children know that they are special, unique and created for a purpose! LOVE Saturday Sayings!!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, February sounds like a great time for a read like this. I can feel your passion through your blog, by the way. :)

      Delete
  4. I am passionate about the kids! I want to be a person in their lives they can count on to love them, to provide structure to their sometimes chaotic lives, to give them what they need to succeed. I'm passionate about growing as a teacher and not becoming stagnant or satisfied. Just to name a few!

    Thanks for this!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, yes, yes, and yes. Those are important things to be passionate about!

      Delete
  5. Tammy,
    I couldn't agree with you more! Did you love that book? Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,
      I'm taking it slowly, so I'm only a few chapters in but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

      Delete