Saturday, February 9, 2013

Saturday Sayings: Talk With, Not At (Guests Too)

(Click above for previous Saturday Sayings)


I have a confession.  I don't think I'm great at this.  I do make sure my kids to talk to their neighbors throughout the day.  Yet I'm afraid there's too much talking at each other than with.  I know this is something that's within a first grader's ability, but it's up to me to create the atmosphere where it can happen.  As someone who has been communicating for 41 years, I sometimes forget that the little people I teach have only been around for 6 or 7.  Most of them won't learn this skill on accident.  The give and take of communication and ability to build upon one another's ideas must be taught, so it's certainly not their fault.  Regie Routman is right when she said, "When my teaching breaks down, it's almost always because my demonstrations have not been sufficient."  It's my lack of modeling and intentionality that keeps them from communicating well.  I'm actually in the midst of teaching this skill now and making a note in my plans to teach it much earlier in the year.  (Duh.)  I know the thinking and learning that will result from talking with each other, rather than at, will be much richer and deeper.  Better start learning how to do this now.

Guess what?  I've got guests today that I'm very excited to share with you all.  They've got their own Saturday Sayings this morning.  Ready to be inspired?  Head on over and see what Laurie, Rachel, and Kiira have to say.  I'm so looking forward to their thoughts!


Laurie

A-B-Seymour
Rachel

Teacher Kirra:Maestra Kirra
Kiira
Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. While it may seem late in the year to be teaching this lifelong skill, just think how happy their future teachers will feel when you send them these kids who can communicate well!! GREAT job.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. I sure would like the kids to be able to listen and respond effectively to each other.

      Delete
  2. I am needing to put this into practice more too. Important skill for them to learn!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I agree. It sure is important. I hope I can pull it off!

      Delete
  3. This past week we looked closely at our Daily Five. What students talk about after reading to someone was mentioned. Everyone thought that we needed to model what a conversation about the book would involve. I think we forget that modeling takes place all year long. Modeling in all areas of communication is a great idea for little ones.
    LiteracyMinute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi, Daily 5 is a great example of when to model good communication. Talking about their reading does take modeling.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the reminder that we need to help kids learn to articulate what they are learning in order to solidify their communication skills. What I really LOVE is that Reggie says that her "teaching breaks down!" It helps me to know that even pros such as she have bad days from time to time!!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, yep even Regie has her moments. There is hope for the rest of us!
      ❀ Tammy
      Forever in First

      Delete
  5. A hard skill to teach and an important one to learn.
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good point - I noticed that a lot of "talking at each other" was happening in my classroom a few weeks ago and we've been working on it since then. Thanks for the great ideas.

    Emily
    TangledwithTeaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, I'm not the only one, huh? Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for letting me join in! Kinda laughing that we both posted about talking:-) Working on the talking with, from here on out.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, we were definitely on the same kind of wavelength! I'm glad you joined me. I love your company.

      Delete