Saturday, December 1, 2012

Saturday Sayings: More Isn't Necessary

(Click above for other Saturday Sayings)


About ten years ago I decided to make my first quilt.  For someone who had never even turned on a sewing machine, this was not a walk-in-the-park undertaking.  I didn't learn to quilt by doing little sewing exercises on the side though.  I learned to quilt by quilting.  I was immersed in the process from day one and became a quilter the moment I took on the project.  

Of course, sewing and literacy are different beasts, but the premise of learning a new craft is the same.  As the quote says, kids learn to read by reading, and they learn to write by writing.  It's easy to get caught up in the "more", which can take on many different faces.  More activities, more games, more centers, more glorified worksheets, etc....basically more stuff.  All the stuff can so quickly push time for simply reading and simply writing right out the door.  If there's anything that we can give our students that will make the most difference in their literacy, it's time to be readers and writers.  The "more" isn't necessary.





Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Excellent quote and so true. SO TRUE! I am going to print that quote out and hang in my classroom. My first graders- most of them- have built up their independent reading stamina to between 30-45 minutes reading a day during our "just right" reading times. (Guided Reading time for me!) I am so proud of them and see most of them growing by leaps and bounds. (Although terribly worried about two of them!)

    Great post to "give permission" to simply LET them read and write!

    Firstgradebloomabilities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. It's good to give ourselves permission to just let them be readers and writers, huh? All the other stuff isn't nearly as important.

      Delete
  2. Tammy, wise words! All the stuff and fluff can certainly get in the way. And practicing skills in isolation rather than applying them to authentic reading and writing tasks can be a detriment too. You can practice and practice a stitch on a practice quilt square, but it won't do you much good if you don't get to use it to sew the whole quilt together! :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, you completed my quilt analogy quite nicely. It's so very true. All the little pieces aren't helpful if you don't know how to put them together.

      Delete
  3. AGREED!
    That is why I am loving my Critter Cafe this year! During that "reading time" kiddos are deepening their understanding and making connections on ways to improve important reading skills and develop and awareness of what it means to be independent- Thus opening the door to reading for enjoyment and reading for meaning!

    Great post my friend!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, you explained exactly the way it should look and sound in the classroom. Amen!

      Delete
  4. Hi Tammy! Had to laugh when I read that you made your first quilt w/o learning to sew first. I did the same thing! It was fun but quite a task for me. Ha...

    And the quote is completely true. I hope I have done better giving kids time to read and write this year w/ the Daily 5!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, we are kindred sewing spirits I see. I ended up making a handful, but if I tried to make one tomorrow I'd have no idea how. :) Daily 5 is all about giving kids time to read and write. I hope you're seeing the fruit of it. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  5. My dad loves to say "keep it simple" when discussing a solution to a problem. It always has a way of calming everyone. I thought about his saying when I read your post! The simple things still work. Great quote today! I wish more teachers could believe this and practice it in their classrooms.
    LiteracyMinute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi, your dad is wise. Classrooms can get so complicated with stuff. It's nice to know it doesn't have to be that way.

      Delete