Saturday, August 11, 2012

Saturday Sayings: Teacher Amnesia

(Click above for more Saturday Sayings.)


Anyone nodding their head out there?  This quote is totally not profound but doesn't it accurately put words to what we all think when the new batch of children arrives each year?

I have a love/hate relationship with starting all over again.  I love getting my hands on some new little thinkers.  I love the opportunity to put the good, the bad, and the ugly behind me. I love another chance to improve at what I do.  On the other hand, I hate (maybe dislike would be a better word) starting from scratch once again.

I arrive in August with a vision of my previous class still in my head from when I said goodbye in June.  They knew all my classroom routines and procedures.  They knew how to read with fluency and expression.  They knew how to write like an almost second grader.  They knew how to tackle difficult math problems.  This new crew shows up and they're cute and all, but they don't match up with that vision whatsoever.  We're back to square one.  Oh, but this is when I remind myself that one of the reasons I teach first grade is because they grow from kindergarteners into second graders right before my eyes.  It's like watching a miracle.  It's just a tad painful at the beginning.  

I might experience selective amnesia when it comes to September, but I'll definitely never forget what a miracle they are during the nine months we're together.

Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I feel the same way each year when the new school year rolls around! I'm all excited about starting, but have completely forgotten that I am starting all over again. But what other job shows such beautiful growth in a short amount of time? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I'm glad that you agree with me on this. Even though it's not easy to start over again, it is such a rewarding job.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Tammy! I'm with you on this. I positively dread the first couple of weeks of school! Other teachers in my building are excited and think it is fun, but I am overwhelmed by all the routines and procedures that have to be taught. I report back on Monday...kids on Thursday...and this has been on my mind a lot. While I don't like starting over, it is the new group and dynamic that makes teaching so much fun. Never gets boring! :-)

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, you're right. There's never a dull moment. I certainly understand the feeling of being overwhelmed in August. We'll manage to get through it.

      Delete
  3. The first weeks of school are the hardest! I go from end of the year third grade, to the beginning of the year second! To say that I never remember what I am in for is an understatement!!
    Julie
    Light A Fire in Third

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, they're definitely the hardest. That must be why we choose to forget. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm okay with starting from scratch again. I'm like you though, in that I view it as yet another year to try and get it all right :) I know .... it will never happen, but it's fun trying ;)

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I hear ya. I'm all about getting it all right. Funny how I'm not bothered by the fact that it's quite an impossible feat. :)

      Delete